Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Standing Firm

Something I've been studying and thinking on recently is what it means to stand firm. In having conversations with others, I have been hearing things like, "I just need to keep my mouth shut", or "I am not good at saying no", or "I don't like confrontation". I believe that we should be doing only what the Lord is leading us to do. Never should we be swayed by what we would prefer, or what we know would assist us in avoiding friction with others. 

I have so been in the place before where fear of man gripped me (or maybe I was gripping it?) that I made decisions based on what I perceived others may possibly think of me if I made one decision or another. Guess what that does? It chains me up, rather than frees me. 

As believers, we should be content to be ourselves because of who we are in Christ. We have been made new, and not because of anything we have done or abstained from. I think especially when we are among other believers, we should find the unconditional acceptance that goes with being adopted into God's family. Standing firm should not be a point of contention amongst the body. Answer this question for yourself: Am I showing the unconditional love and acceptance of the Father in my community?

This morning at devotion, Teacher Simiyu told this story: "There were seven men who were hungry, so they decided to find some fruit to eat. Two went walking, two picked the fruit, two brought it over, and one ate it- yet all were satisfied. How can this be? Well, two men were the legs, two men were the arms, two men were the hands, and one man was the mouth, all of the same body. Do the legs complain that they got no nourishment from the fruit simply because they did not chew it up? Not at all!" This really spoke to me as a reminder to consider others as part of one body, to show honor and love to those around you, not trying to argue about situations that don't matter in light of eternity, and to "get" for myself, rather than trying to give to others. These are actions and issues of the heart that I earnestly attempt to adhere to despite my flesh crying out to be noticed, congratulated, and catered to.

Here are a few verses that have encouraged me over the last few days:

You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Tomorrow go out against them, and the Lord will be with you. 2 Chron 20:17

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. Eph 6:10-20

Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have. Phil 1:27-30

I exhort you to stand firm, show grace, humble yourself, and love others unconditionally. The only possible way to do this is through the strength of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment