Thursday, July 31, 2014

Slowly Adjusting

Yesterday was the first day I was excited to be at home. My brother and sister in law were coming over for dinner, and I was going to make it for them! They were also going to be getting their souvenirs that I picked up for them, which made me extra excited. I finished cleaning up the piles on the coffee table, and reduced my dining room table down to the small 2 seat version. I was able to lower both leaves after they had been cleared of papers, shillings, euros, to do lists, cards, and kleenexes. Sometimes cleaning up takes making a bigger mess before you can get everything back in order.

We had the best time at dinner. Tacos, talk, laughter, drinks. Nathan played his new drum, Morgan asked if I got her that scarf because it had her two favorite colors in it (of course I had, because I couldn't believe how perfect it would be for her).

This morning, I woke up feeling better than I had in days. Didn't even have to blow my nose. Things were looking up, people.

But then, it happened. A shock to my senses.

I went to the kitchen to fill up a water bottle- I knew I would get thirsty today, helping Carolyn move some classroom stuff. When I opened the cabinet, my olive green Nalgene was staring back at me. I was shocked. What was that doing in there? That's my Kenya water bottle. The one I used daily at Naomi's Village. The one I had purchased especially for this trip- last year I borrowed a Nalgene. This year, I decided to get my very own.

When at Naomi's Village, I often had stomach pains. Some to do with different foods (which all tasted delicious, but my body wasn't used to) and some emotional- fear, not knowing what the future held, and so on. Nurse Ann suggested I take more water (did you hear that? Take water, not drink it. Love her!) and even mix it in with Crystal Light for some added flavor and nutrients (does Crystal Light have nutrients? I dunno but it's delish!) Thank the Lord that the Powell's brought so. many. packets. of. Crystal Light. Since the Nalgene is semi-opaque, on days that I made Crystal Light to drink, John always wanted to know what I was drinking. Was it juice? Did it taste good? What did it taste like?Why didn't I have water? Could he have a drink?

I told him that I was drinking fruit flavored medicine to help my stomach (Remember, a NURSE told me it has nutrients). That was good enough for him, and then he would ask me through the day if I felt better, or if my tummy still had pain.

So, finding this offensive green bottle in my kitchen cabinet in Lewisville, Texas this morning was super weird. It seemed very out of place. But I realized that it wasn't out of place at all. That's the water bottle cabinet- Where we put all the water bottles. It's just that this specific bottle has one specific purpose- it's just for water 'on the go' when I leave home.

No comments:

Post a Comment