Sunday, July 27, 2014

10,000 Reasons

I'm back in Texas. It's a weird feeling. I really want to be around people (one on one or in small groups, thankyouverymuch), but I don't really want to talk about Kenya the whole time. But that's what people want me to talk about. I can't really summarize 6 weeks into one conversation over dinner and drinks. It's too much. And to do it over and over and over again feels like torture. Because I loved every minute I was there. Even the minutes where I was lonely, angry, or frustrated. 

One of the most often sung songs at Naomi's Village these days is "10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)". We sang it as soon as we knew the Cornerstone Land was ours. My friend Bonface really loves that one. And I love it too. I loved it before going to Naomi's Village, because it reminds me of my Mama, whom I lost here on Earth in 2003, almost 11 years ago.



"And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore"


Even with Ovarian cancer, she believed in the Lord's goodness. For two years she suffered greatly, but there would never be a complaint uttered from her lips. Her food tasted like metal because of the radiation. She had sores on her body where the cancer literally ate through her (she claimed they were just "little old bedsores")- and she still did everything to be joyful and make others feel comfortable. On our last Christmas together, after presents were opened, food was prepared and eaten, and everyone was relaxing- Mama couldn't be found. I wandered around, until I found her laying on my aunt's bed, exhausted from the day's events. As I lie down beside her, she still had the strength to talk with me, ask me about the guy I was dating at the time (Allie that's for you), and how I was enjoying my freshman year at UNT. When she went to Heaven in August of 2003, I was there. I was with her in her and papa's bedroom. I was holding her hand for awhile. I watched her body release her spirit into the spiritual realm.


So, you see, Kenya and worship and memories of Mama are all intertwined. They're my life. It's hard to talk about one without the others. Please, don't expect me to share every detail of every moment of my six weeks in Kenya with you all in one sitting. You might be there awhile, and we might venture back in time 11 years! Please bear with me as I transition back into life in America. If I felt out of place before... wow. Look at me now.







No comments:

Post a Comment