Sunday, July 14, 2013

So?

I keep thinking about "So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts her mouth".

Because of what? It says, SO the poor have hope. That means there is a reason for the poor having hope and a reason that injustice is quieted. The reason is God's steadfast love. The Bible says that he does great things- unsearchable things. Because of these things- the poor can have hope, and injustice is quieted.

I shared this verse tonight with the homegroup that I do child care for. The leaders asked me to do a lesson for everyone tonight, not just the kids. I was able to share what we did at Cornerstone, and some of the things God has put in my heart through this experience.

I talked about spending my time doing something that matters- about giving of myself beyond what my normal is. I talked about how this scripture in Job really spoke to me, reinforcing that "God is in charge of everything" (stolen from Little Village), that he is good, and he can do whatever he wants. We are invited along to watch him  do good work and participate in his redemptive plan, but he certainly doesn't need us. It was really cool that they wanted me to share with them. Many of the families donated to my trip- it was very neat to be able to tell them what they set into motion by sending.

It has also been especially encouraging to watch God bless my finances. Yes, I have had some unexpected expenses (I'm talking to you, AC Unit). But I found this quote on Pinterest, and ever since then I have really attempted to give any small amount- whenever I can, whatever it might look like.



Since that time, about 2 weeks ago, I have seen God allow me a multitude of ways to earn extra money. If you don't know, I'm in grad school, and I pay cash for it. This is great for avoiding debt for school, but it also means that I have considerably less to pay off other debt (credit card, car, house) which just hangs over my head like a storm cloud, inducing worry and stress and guilt. It's not a horrible amount- but debt isn't being a good steward, period. So, I'm always in the market for DIYing as much as possible, earning extra cash by doing odd jobs, mowing my own lawn, not going on major vacations, not eating out very often... you get the idea. So it has been absolutely amazing to watch God place me in situations to earn extra money- which is going straight into the savings account!

When I initially read the passage in Job, I was thinking globally of  "the poor having hope"-those in poverty, orphans, widows- but in my finances, I am finding hope by giving more. God isn't blessing me because I'm giving more. He's blessing me because he loves me. I am making room for being more generous, and it's allowing me to see beyond the black and white (and also a little red) of my bank ledger. I'm not holding tightly to my money anymore because of fear. I'm opening up my hands and pockets, and there's freedom there. There's hope there. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment