Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Homesick

Returning from Kenya hasn't been completely smooth sailing.

I've been sad.

I've had feelings of guilt.

I feel like a stranger in my own house.

For the first six days I was home, I woke up at 5 am. Saturday and Sunday were tough, because I had no plans until hours after that wake up time. What the heck was I going to do for 5 hours? I don't really watch much TV, and just being in my room was driving me crazy. Naturally, I escaped the situation by heading to the local coffee shop. 




I needed to finish journaling my trip. I didn't work on it too much in Kenya because I wanted to hang out with my team any time I had a free moment. We talked, played games, laughed, reflected on our experiences of the day. It was a sweet time of community.

After coffee shop escapism time, I tried to do useful things. I cleaned my room. I read some books. I looked at a ton of Kenya pictures. But I mostly wanted to be with my new friends. They must be feeling some of the same things I was. Sadly, a few of them were at Kid's Camp and then I had a week long professional development to attend Monday through Friday. I was experiencing homesickness for Kenya- the place, the people, the new family dynamic created with my team while we were there.

I did get moments of awesome hang out time. Lindsay came up to Roots one morning. 
Rachel and I got dinner after church on Saturday so I could tell her about the trip. I saw Deanna and Megan at Rosa's Thursday Night. We talked for HOURS. It was extremely soothing for my heart to get that much quality time with my friends.

I got to have lunch with Jillian and Nicole, two girls I used to lead in the middle school ministry. Of course, they're way older now and we had an awesome time just catching up. I had a fro yo date with Lindsay and Melissa right before I left for Papa's house. It was also a very fulfilling time of talking life, dreams, and God's unconditional love.

For me, spending quality time with friends is way more valuable than any other way of spending time. Movies? Okay. Concert? Sure! Way fun! Vacation or dinner? The BEST.








1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing J'Layne! Amanda and I would love to get dinner with you when you come back and hear more.

    ReplyDelete