Thursday, July 4, 2013

Change agents

So about this fundraising. There are so many people from the Village and the Dallas area that have visited Nomi's Village, that many people want to help fundraise for Naomi's Village Needs and for the Needs of Cornerstone Prep- which at this time, is money for a legit school building. Here are a few things that are coming up:

First, there's a fundraiser for Naomi's Village at Roots Coffee Shop in Highland Village tomorrow, July 5. You should go! A bunch of VERY COOL people will be there. If you go, you'll be one of them. Do it.

Second, we as a teacher team have already committed to raise the other chunk of money to retrofit the barn until the legit school can be built. We have a private FB page that we have been posting on, sharing fundraiser ideas and hearing feedback on those. Be excited- there are some really great ideas going on! I promise to keep you posted when they come to pass! I'm also looking to write grants, and find grants that Naomi's Village/Cornerstone would be eligible for.



I've been thinking a lot about my sadness/disconnect/missing moments, and when I think about it, this happens every time I come back from Africa. Send me to the slums in Jamaica or the mass chaos of an East Asian metropolis- when I return, I'm all "God Bless America!"

There is something, though, about 'the least of these' in Africa- be it South Africa, Kenya, whatever. It makes my heart hurt. I never want to leave. I distinctly remember returning from South Africa in 2004 and being upset that God let me experience that awesome culture without being done with college yet. Why was He making me go back to stupid America and take stupid classes? (Most likely so I could become a teacher and a productive member of society, not to mention the not completing my schooling would have precluded me from fully participating in the Kenya trip. Whoops. Sorry God.)

However, after about a month of returning from South Africa, life resumed as it always had. I cherish the memories from that trip and still have my best friend thanks to sweating it out in a queen sized bed almost the entire time we were there. I disconnected from most others on the team, I disconnected from the missionary that I visited. I can't even tell you if the church we helped to plant is even there today. 

However, as I already stated, I KNEW God was doing something different with this trip. There is no way I can ever be disconnected from Bob and Julie. There is no way I can unsee and unlearn what I experienced in Kenya. When your team sits down the night before leaving, looks around the table at one another, and says, "So what dates work for next summer?" And everyone pipes up, you know God has done something that has mutually changed all of you.

You see, you can't forget that Bob and Julie used to live in the same town you now do. You can't forget that Julie is a teacher by profession, just like you are. You can't forget the horrific pasts of some of the most beautiful children you've ever seen- and KNOW that they are different- even if they still struggle- because God redeemed them from their circumstances. You can't forget Bob's words echoing in your mind: "There's money out there to be had. It's not about the money. We need people to come implement what God has placed on their hearts. We can't implement everyone's vision. If God has given you a vision for Naomi's Village, then come do it."

Sitting in their living room, listening to individual kids and siblings' stories, asking questions, getting a deeper understanding of cultural and governmental realities... These are the unforgettable things. Knowing these things is what makes coming home, flipping on the TV, and watching two hours of reality shows feel completely empty and worthless. Knowing these things is what makes almost everything I do to relax seem so meaningless in my own heart.

The first thing I did when I got home was to sign up for a sponsorship for one of the new children at NV. She's just 15 months old, and absolutely adorable. Her name is Mercy. I love her! 

And still, the question burning in my mind, beating in my heart, and echoing in my prayers is this: what else can I do?



1 comment:

  1. If only more people would ask that last question, "what else can I do," and then act upon the answer...

    ReplyDelete