Thursday, June 12, 2014

Travel Time

Well, we made it! We are at GraceHouse in Nairobi. We had a few fun adventures to get here! First, all of my close friends who went to Kenya with me last year surprised me at the airport for a mini send off. It was the best! Kathy made a "Jill Ann" sign and everything! There was even cheering involved, although some would say it was chanting, NOT cheering (boys). Lindsay, Megan, Deanna, Ryan, Bryan, Britt, Kathy, Grace, Kim, Carolyn and my mom gathered around Ashley and I , joined by her mom, dad, and brother, to pray for us as we were getting ready to go through security. I gotta say, it meant so much to me.

We had a great first flight from DFW to Heathrow, and made our connecting flight in plenty of time! That was an answer to prayer because it was a very short connection (55 mins) and we had to go through security again in London. We met Allie at the gate or our next flight and boarded with her. This is when things started to get... "interesting".

We had this lady on our flight who was screaming and yelling, getting in people's faces, and basically being an unruly passenger. At one point, there were 5 flight attendants and the PILOT talking to her. Umm, I'm sorry, I think he should, you know, be flying the plane right now crazy?!? Then, I was standing up near the restroom, trying to get my lil smokie toes to reduce in size- and I hear a flight attendant on the phone, saying, "yes, she's in the back far left. We need another person back here to watch her or she's going to punch someone else." Umm, what? someone else?!? who had already been punched? So weird.

Finally, we got to Nairobi, went through customs, got our bags... and found our driver. He had a four door white car to take us to GraceHouse. Here is a photo of how the logistics worked in that small car with our giant bags:



Allie and I were sitting on actual car seats, while Ashley sat on our laps- with a 60 lb duffel bag on her lap and pushing into my lungs. The driver had 3 bags piled up next to him in the front, and Allie had about 6 bags piled up next to her in one of the back seats. We were cracking up, getting real cozy, and taking our first of what I'm sure will be many zany car rides here in Kenya.

When we got to GraceHouse, the guard at the gate said to our drive, "Where are the girls?" We were so covered up, that he couldn't even see us. Hilarious.

We are now cozy in our room, in fact the same room I was in last year! We are all clean, warm, and ready for tomorrow's adventures- getting our errands run, and getting on the road to Maai Mahiu!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to read your words, J'Layne and know you are sleeping soundly at Grace House. Tomorrow will be an amazing day...Praying for safe travel for all three of you ladies..

    ReplyDelete