Sunday, January 3, 2016

Choose Joy

I am on yet another book launch team! This opportunity came about through the recommendation of a friend, and let me tell you, I’m so glad I was chosen to read this book at this time in my life. Choose Joy is the story of Sara Frankl, ill with three different diseases: ankylosing spondylitis (an autoimmune disease), leukopenia, and for a time, Cushing’s disease. Because of these diagnoses, Sara spent much of her adult life in isolation, needing to remain inside her home to reduce symptoms of these diseases. She gave up her job, her hobbies and interests, and her ability to be around other people because of the effects of their germs making her more ill. So she turned to blogging as a way to continue writing, although it was no longer her job.

Much of Sara’s story was so full of love for the Lord, her friends, and family. Her story is marked by trusting in the Lord for finding her life’s purpose in the midst of being isolated from her community in many ways. It really spoke to me, as someone who has just picked up and moved across the world, not able to enjoy the same closeness with my community that I have had previously, because of distance.

“But I don’t have to be without community. I don’t have to choose longing instead of living. Because we are gathered in his name, because we love and believe with hearts that love God more than ourselves, we are a community. A living, breathing community that has learned how to share our lives over any distance. Jesus told us to do this life together, as a community. And because of him, there are no boundaries. There is only the common bond of belief and love.” -Choose Joy

Her absolute certainty about God using her in any capacity is truly inspiring. Many days, she was not even able to do much more than get up out of bed to eat and use the bathroom. But God used her words, her Skype sessions, her phone calls with friends for His glory, every day, for the rest of her life. Oh, to have confidence like that- to be completely confident that everything in life is being used for His glory. This book caused me to reflect and reframe what it is that God is doing through me- not just at Naomi’s Village and Cornerstone Prep- but also in the lives of friends in the states, friends here in Kenya, and friends on the field in other parts of the world. Distance shouldn’t matter. It does change things sometimes, and makes certain events and milestones feel different- but it doesn’t mean I have to be different in regards to my community. I can choose joy each day. I can initiate and reach out to those in my community all around the world and be the kind of friend that I would love to have, the kind of friend that I do have in two or three people.

Sara also mourned the realization that she would never be a wife or a mom, but she rejoiced in the fact that she got to mother so many nieces and nephews and friend’s children too. In every difficult moment, she found a way to turn that difficulty into a prayer of gratitude.

“I’ve stopped trying to compromise between what I want and what I have- and I’ve learned instead to want what I’m given. By removing the expectations I placed on my life, I’ve come to appreciate the moments He’s entrusted to me. It doesn’t make the journey easy. But it does make it worthwhile.” -Choose Joy

Choose Joy releases on January 5. Anyone who reads Sara's story will be encouraged and drawn closer to understanding the purposes of God in our suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment